Friday, January 21, 2005

You learn something new every day

Last night I was initiated into the mysteries of The Waltz, International Standard-style. It was fun! Now all I need is to bleach my hair and get one of those dresses with ridiculous amounts of feathers on the hem. The syllabus according to the US Amateur Ballroom Dancers Association shows that I learned some of the basic moves (2, 3, and 4, maybe 1):
Pre-Bronze 1. Closed Changes 2. Natural Turn 3. Reverse Turn 4. Natural Spin Turn 5. Whisk 6. Chasse from Promenade Position
So I'm not yet ready to compete - the three competition levels appear to be Bronze, Silver, and Gold, with Gold being the most advanced. Some of the movement names are intriguing; for instance, I'd really like to know what "Open Telemark & Cross Hesitation" or "Hover Corte" mean. Ballroom dancing has been acknowledged as a sport by the International Olympic Committee, but it has not yet been approved as an official Olympic sport. It's apparently still possible that it could be an official Olympic sport in 2012. That gives me plenty of time to practice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home