Monday, June 20, 2005

Dancing with the Stars, week 3

I don't like the Jive. I don't have anything against its predecessors, truly; I've even choreographed a dance incorporating Swing movement. I just don't like the way all those elements go together. However, I tried not to let that influence my judgement of the dancing in this show. This time the dances were assigned randomly to men or women. The other dance that was presented was the (far superior, IMHO) Tango. Joey, Evander, and Kelly did the Jive, while Rachel and John did the Tango. This was Kelly's best dance to date, and she convinced me that she deserved to stay on the show longer than Evander, who got voted off. Rachel really had it going on, too; there was one shot that was just right to show her rolling through her gorgeous foot. You don't learn that in six weeks. (Huh. She was "Stacey's Mom" in the video.) But she needs to look up! John was his usual smooth, charming self. There was an interesting bit in Joey's intro where we saw him trying to convince his professional partner that they needed some showmanship. Whaaaa? The dresses on the show are provided by Chrisanne, a popular dancewear company that also provided dresses for the UK version of the show. Unfortunately for them, this is mentioned neither during the show nor on the website (although I confess I have not watched the credits). This week I actually liked a few of the dresses. This wasn't one of them. I have to say that I generally like what Charlotte wears. I wonder how much say the dancers have.
Wow, DWTS was ranked 1st in the Nielsen ratings during its first week!
[6-22-05] Saw a bit about DWTS on Good Morning America today. (Hey, I was at the doctor's office.) Best part: the correspondent was sitting in the audience watching John and Charlotte practice a dance without music. He made a comment to the effect that since there wasn't music playing, he could imagine his own. Then he starts in on "I....like....big....butts and I cannot lie." ROFL
There was another article in the New York Times this morning. A great quote from John: "We left every step in the shoes."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home